Germany is one of the top choices of students who wish to study abroad. It is the country that focuses on providing state of the art education and giving career opportunities to students. Germany is renowned worldwide for its automobile engineering and designing courses. But, what is it like for an international student to study in Germany after 12th?Are the degrees even valid? What courses are available to study in Germany after 12th? What are the top colleges? And above all, how to apply?


If your school-leaving certificate is not recognized in Germany, your way to a German university is through the preparatory college (Studienkolleg). You end it with an exam, the assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung). But there is also the possibility to prepare yourself linguistically and technically in other ways for your studies if you do not yet feel safe but do not have to attend a preparatory college. Then you can attend a language course or a preparatory course (propaedeutic course).


If your school leaving certificate is not sufficient for you to start a bachelor’s degree in Germany, you will have to take an exam. It’s called the assessment test. You can prepare for this exam in a preparatory college in Germany. In the cabin database, you can check how your previous degrees are classified and whether you have to attend a preparatory college.

The Studienkollegs enable one to adjust from the academic culture in your home country to the academic culture in Germany. In order to do these courses are specifically tailored to international university applicants. The teachers at the Studienkollegs, your “bridge builders”, are highly qualified and specialized experts, who will work together with you.

The preparatory colleges are institutions at universities and technical colleges. Not every university has a preparatory college. The colleges offer various specialty courses that prepare students for specific subjects.

If you take your exam in a preparatory college at a university of applied sciences, you are only allowed to study at one university of applied sciences afterward. When taking an exam at a university, you can do both. The International Office at your university will help you find the right preparatory college and prepare you for it properly. There are various preparatory colleges.


  • M course (for applicants for (dental) medicine, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, biochemistry, bioinformatics, biology, and other medical, biological, or pharmaceutical degree programs)
  • W course (for applicants for business administration and economics = business administration and economics and other economic and social science courses)
  • G course (for applicants from all humanities and linguistic courses)
  • T course (for applicants from all-natural science courses except biochemistry and biology and other mathematical, scientific, or technical courses)
  • S course (for language studies)


  • TI course (for applicants for technical and engineering courses)
  • WW course (for applicants for economics courses)
  • GD course (for applicants for design and artistic courses)
  • SW course (for applicants for social sciences and social sciences courses)


Down the years the incresing demand for bachelor studies in Germany has made the admission process a bit more complicated. Prior to the commencement of your preparatory college, you should go through an entrance test in order get yourself placed in one among the studienkollegs in Germany. Since the 16 States in Germany have in together only few seats (approximately 1000) for the preparatory college, getting admitted would be not that easy. This process requires an entrance exam in order to find the right candidate for the course. If the candidate fail to meet the exam, they should be getting themselves enrolled to a private studienkolleg or else apply in the next consecutive year

For admission to a preparatory college, you must meet the following requirements, among others:

  • Good knowledge of German (level B1 of the European Framework of Reference) / some Universities demand for B2
  • Offer letter from a University
  • Enough money to live in Germany (proof of financial resources) ie Blocked account 
  • A valid visa

In an entrance examination, you have to prove that your language skills are sufficient. If you haven’t learned enough German in your home country, you can first attend a language course in Germany. But the language schools in Germany costs 4 times more than in your home country. At some universities, the course then serves as proof of application to a preparatory college.

Attending a preparatory college is usually free of charge at state universities. However, course participants have to pay the usual semester fee for students. Note: A failure in the Aufnahmeprüfung

The course at a preparatory college usually lasts two semesters. The lessons last about 30 hours per week. However, students with very good grades can already take the assessment test after one semester.


After completing your preparatory college, you have to take the assessment test. It consists of several subjects that are important for your future subject. A language test is also included. If you have passed the exam, you can apply for a bachelor’s degree in your field of study.

At some preparatory colleges, the assessment test can also be taken as an “external assessment test”. That means you don’t have to have attended a preparatory college beforehand – but this is usually very difficult.


In preparation for your studies, it can be good to attend a language course to improve and consolidate your German skills. This is where AFLA can assist you in laying your first stepstone in the field of the German language. Then you won’t miss any registration deadlines and you won’t have to wait long for a vacancy.

Basically, you should find out exactly what the conditions are at language schools before you book a course. Reputable language schools can give you detailed information about their courses and the language levels they teach. If a language school is expensive, that doesn’t mean it’s good.